Thursday, April 4, 2013

My Tedy's Team Application Essay

With just 11 days left until the big day I decided to publish the essay I wrote about my Grandmother, my stroke Hero, as part of my application to be on Tedy's Team.

I'll admit I haven't done a great job writing about Tedy's Team and how amazing of an experience it has been. I think every time I go to write or think about it, the race day just seems so real so I stop myself because it is making me so nervous. Running this race is such a dream of mine I honestly can't believe I'm doing it and for my charity of choice. Seeing Tedy at the water stop during our 21 miler, thinking about all the long runs with brunch after, hearing all the amazing stories from my teammates, all the gear they gave us (and much much more) has made my first marathon experience amazing. I'm so proud I was accepted to this wonderful team and it has been a privilege to train with them these past 4 months.

And without any more of my ramblings...



Essay for Tedy’s Team Application
I want to run for Tedy’s Team because stroke is a cause that hits home for me. While I was in high school my parent’s got a call from my grandmother’s neighbor saying they found her on the floor in her home and called an ambulance. My grandmother suffered a major stroke and passed away few days later.  My grandmother led a very active and independent life into the last years of her life. The stroke came out of nowhere and shook up my family quite a bit.
My hope for fundraising for Tedy’s Team is to support research that will help identify symptoms of stroke before they happen. Because my grandmother lived alone she had no one around when she felt the onset of symptoms. My hope is that research will help doctors figure out symptoms long before the stroke actually occurs.  I would also like to spread awareness about the identifying characteristics of strokes. I’m not sure if my grandmother knew what the warning signs of a stroke were and if she had known the outcome might have turned out differently.
Running the Boston Marathon for a charity that is close to my heart would be the perfect way to run my first marathon. Knowing that I am running to help prevent what happened to my grandmother will help calm the nerves I’ve had about running this race in the past.  I’m really excited for this coming April and hope I will have the opportunity to fulfill my goal of running the marathon for Tedy’s Team.
Running the Boston Marathon has been a dream of mine since the first time I watched runners go around the fire station on Comm. Ave. I will admit, I have been too nervous to sign up before but after watching the runners cross the finish line, I know that this year is the year. Last year in particular, I actually wrote myself a note and made a video of the runners crossing the finish line to remind myself how much I want to accomplish this goal.
Besides my very personal connection to stroke, I want to mention that I'm a person who is always looking for the next way to challenge myself. Having grown up in Newton, I've watched the marathon from Heartbreak Hill for years and I'm excited to finally start training for it! I have a "can-do" attitude and smile that just won't quit.
If you have any doubt about my enthusiasm and positive energy, I have attached a photo taken at the end of my longest triathlon (1 mile ocean swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run) that I completed on 9/15/12. Please note my actual finishing time was 3 hours 20 minutes.
Thank you for your consideration.
-Cat Porfert

   Here is the photo I attached:

If you would like to contribute to my fundraising efforts you can still do so here: http://tedysteam2013.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1039935&supid=371671877

-cat


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very amazing Cat, so proud of you! You're going to do great! The hard part is over, now just relax and enjoy the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Greg's thoughts! I've been so grateful to get to know you better in the past year and have always admired your positive attitude and enthusiasm. Your dedication to Tedy's Team and Marathon training is no different, and you should be so proud of your accomplishments. Enjoy the race and have FUN - you're more than ready! xo

    ReplyDelete