Thursday, November 1, 2012

Casual Half Marathon





I have a folder on my desktop that has saved photos I plan to blog about and I found that gem from when I signed up for the Newport Amica Half Marathon.

It's true. I freakin miss triathlons. I think I even miss the sun blasting me in the face as I struggle to swim back from the other side of Walden and not being able to spot the bathhouse to swim back to.

However, I'm also burnt out, for now.

Two weeks prior to the half marathon, I really badly rolled my ankle .5 miles from my house and near end of my run. The run was going as it always does. I hit my good stride, I'm practically singing out loud to my music, endorphins are flying, I'm almost home, I'm thinking about what I'm going to wear to the bar that night, big smile on my face and then AHHHHHHHH. Really bad ankle pain (well not as bad as the time I broke it.)

Anyways, as I do with most injuries, I freaked out, got over it, started to walk, started to jog and then started to run. I went home, got ready to go to the bar, went out and woke up with a cankle. Please see injury log for a great photo. I rested, I iced, I compressed and I elevated.

And I still went on my 3 day hiking trip the next weekend.

I was feeling pretty good but I knew I hadn't run in awhile so the half was going to be a struggle.

I told myself I was just going to take it easy and enjoy the course. I also forgot my ankle brace so I knew it was going to be an interesting run. The first 7 miles went by fine and I was making pretty decent time.  However, half way through the next mile with the 20 mph winds hitting me in the face and my ankle screaming at me, I was done. I walked.

I was ok with it. I made little milestones to run/walk for the next couple miles and then made myself run the last 2.5 miles without stopping. It actually went by really quickly and I was pretty happy for most of it. Despite the really crappy weather and intense winds, Newport is such a pretty city and a beautiful course.

Word to the wise: Don't run a half marathon after you roll your ankle two weeks prior. You will be limping for days after and you will not do well in the race. You will also get your cankle back for a couple days. Now you know, don't say I didn't warn you.

During the race I also realized I need a mental break. I want to spend November swimming, biking, doing fun workouts, strength training, making sure my knee and hip are 100% ready to go because I have my first team run bright and early December 1st. For what you might ask...



BAM!!!!! (Yes, this is my "race goals" white board for my big races)

I'm not posting it on fbook/twitter yet so you wonderful blog readers get to know before the social media world :) (I haven't told my family yet so I need to tell them before posting.)

HAPPY NOVEMBER!

I'll probably be a bad marathon runner,
-cat

3 comments:

  1. You're going to be an AWESOME marathon runner! So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAAY 2013 marathons! I just registered for my first on 5/26 in Burlington, VT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks guys! Yay 2013 marathon training, we'll have to do some runs :)

    ReplyDelete