Monday, November 26, 2012

...No really, I'm a bad triathlete

I decided that November is going to be called "No Long Run November". I decided on this title because my marathon training officials starts on December 1st and I really wanted to give my body adequate time to heal my injuries.

That's when I created what I like to call "adventure runs." These runs all got started because of my crazy friend Greg who was training for World's Toughest Mudder and convinced me to train with him at Walden one day. I declined putting on the wetsuit and jumping in and out of the pond with him but I did participate in hill sprints, push ups, squats and the trail running. I really liked this type of training and it gave my runs some variety so I decided to make up my own runs like this back home.

I decided I was going to do no more than 3-5 miles because....No Long Run November!

Here is a little map:


As far as the "set of activities" go, I've been doing lunges, squats, pushups and burpees. Don't forgot to push it up those hills :)

So you might be wondering why I titled this post about being a bad triathlete. Allow me to explain...

Very last minute had the opportunity  to run the Gobble Gobble Gobble race in Somerville. I've never run a Turkey Trot before and a nice 4 miles before Thanksgiving sounded like a great idea. I also heard there was  free beer after...I was in! I know I said I wasn't racing any more for the season but hell, we knew that wasn't going to last :)

I left work early on Wednesday (thanks job!) and decided to wash all of my bedding at my parent's house and take advantage of my free time. I had dinner plans with home friends and then I was planning on going out for a bit after and be home at a reasonable hour to rest up for the race...

Flash forward to not a very sober Cat at 3 am... Up until this point I thought I was just going to sleep in my sleeping bag (because I didn't bother to make my bed after I washed all the bedding.) However, I guess my drunk productive self decided that it was unacceptable to sleep in so I woke up (3 hours later) in my nicely made bed, running clothes laid out and I had a new playlist for the race rightfully labeled "IDK?". Yay for drunk productivity!

To say I didn't hate the world when I woke up would be a lie, but I still headed on over to the race on time.

I had a fantastic race! I can't manage to eat before short races so I thought my empty stomach would be a problem but nope! I felt great the whole time and I felt like I could going. I ran just over an 8 min/mile pace. Woot woot. I also thought we got ONE free beer after the race. I walked into the Burren and saw the bar:


 Let's just say I was late to Thanksgiving :)

First Marathon training run is this Saturday! Woot woot!

-cat out

PS
Make my day and donate to my Santa Speedo Run?
http://www.ssrunners.org/ssrun/participantpage.asp?uid=2332&fundid=1516

No comments:

Post a Comment