Monday, December 17, 2012

Knee jerk reactions to me running the Boston Marathon

"I heard they have to increase the Boston Marathon to 36 miles because you said it's a breeze." -Army friend

"Are you going to win?" -My 95 year old Grandpa

"That sounds awful.....I walked the marathon and that was miserable I can't even imagine running it" -My Big

" I know you talk scared but you know you are just going to do it...and all your training runs."  -Co worker and friends ...touche, I'm too stubborn not to finish

"If you must..." -My Mom

"Now we have someone to watch while we're drunk!" -Various 20 somethings

"So...you're not going to run if it's 95 degrees again...right?"-Family member Answer: No, come hell or high water I will be running. I don't care if I have to somersault into the finish line.

"O crap..." -Me


I'm not sure what else to do to this post. I do want to tell you I've had terrible long runs UNTIL this past Saturday. I ran a fantastic 10 miler from a little beyond the State House (Fitcorp) to Cleveland Circle and back. Somehow I didn't get the urge to just run to my house which is closer rather than running back to Fitcorp. It probably had a lot to do with me not getting snowed or rained on for once. I would also like to note that I had "negative splits" (I learned what those were a couple months ago and I've been waiting for a chance to mention it.) Also, I went out with my charity team for brunch after and they are awesome! I then had the audacity to swim later on that day. I know, I was acting like a real workout jerk.

Another thing that happened while I was running was that it finally REALLY hit me I was running on the course. As I ran through the Fenway area I remembered all the times in the past few years I stood and watched the marathon runners go by that crazy intersection of Comm and Beacon. Everything just sort of became more real. 4 months. That doesn't seem like a long amount of time. 4 months ago August was winding down and we were getting ready for Labor Day weekend. Crazy right? I also made a really good point to stare down Hereford St while I was on my return trip down Beacon. I know that road is going to seem like forever to Boylston Street. You might have seen the stickers that say "Right on Hereford, left on Boylston." I want that. I kept picturing in my mind what it would feel like to be making that turn and how I would probably be so delirious and wanted to have quit miles and miles ago. I'll probably be thinking how much I hate running...and then that finish line feeling hits. There is no way to describe it other than I don't think I've ever had my feelings change quicker from such overwhelming hurt/hate/pain to euphoric/positive/joy. You feel like a crazy person. But somehow the finish line you never thought you would see is here and the addiction to see how far you can struggle and still make it is fed again.

"To run in the race is to suffer, but also to be constantly told how wonderful you were—to feel a whole world of complete strangers supporting you and cheering you on. " http://deadspin.com/5966723/boom-or-bust-48-hours-at-leadvilles-treacherous-ultramarathon

For those interested in learning about why I'm running for Tedy's Teamplease visit my fundraising page:

http://tedysteam2013.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1039935&supid=371671877

Happy training,
-cat

No comments:

Post a Comment