Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Leg Hangover/I'm a baby dinosaur

Since I have plenty of time to think during my long runs, I've been coming up with all these great running terms.

A "leg hangover" is actually something I thought of on the fly on a client call. It was our weekly call with a client after New Year's and he asked if I was super hungover after New Year's Eve. If you remember I ran 14 miles and then snowboarded the next day at Killington (terrible idea) for New Year's before going out that night. I told him I handled the drinking just fine but I still had a terrible leg hangover from all of my leg involving activities.

I hate to admit when I'm feeling mortal but I guess I was/am kind of sick? I had a terrible stuffy head last week after Sunday River (lots of bad triathlete activities occurred that weekend) and just felt really run down all week. I did have an awesome morning run with Sarah and I have changed my morning workout alarm to "Call on Me". I just keep hitting snooze as I'm getting ready so whenever it comes back on I just sort of break out into the dance a little and then hit snooze, repeat. Hey, whatever works to get you out the door in the morning, right?

I knew when I headed out for my run on Saturday morning it was going to be a rough one. I never really got into my happy running place and I kept coughing and just feeling crappy. I thought we were going for 16 miles but when they announced the runs options they had a 12, 14, 15.3, 16.5. I was like hmm I don't think I have it in me to increase my longest run by 2.5 today. I decided I would try for the 15.3 but reevaluate at 14. I got to the 7 mile water stop and really really debated just turning around and only doing 14. I really didn't want to because 14 is a distance I have already done but no one else seemed to be going further. All of a sudden a group of about 4-5 people from another charity showed up at the water stop. They were like join us for the 15.3! Forrest Gumping at it's finest :)

So I hung out and ran further and up and over Heartbreak Hill with the Project Hope people. It was really great seeing all the charities out running in the carriage lane of Comm ave. and how friendly everyone is. It still really hurt but I pushed on. I think the biggest thing about long runs is just keeping your mind super calm. I was about a mile away from the finish and I felt my mind racing ahead, I just wanted to be done. I put myself in a mental time out and told myself (I actually might have said it out loud) to just relax because I still had quite a distance to go and there was no use in thinking I was done yet. I also realized during the run I needed to consume some calories. I had a gu and then tried to eat some pretzels at the last water stop....it didn't work out so well. I pretty much accidentally inhaled part of a pretzel because I was already coughing from being sick I just sort of ended up choking myself more. We will need to rethink pretzels as a food option on race day. Apparently my Garmin was .3 off when it was trying to find satellites because everyone had 15.3 and mine only said 15. O well.

All filled out, it's official!
Of course I had no time to relax as I had to run off to a hair apt and then off to the Bruins opening game!

My hairdresser. Let's just say, she would be a badass, very tattooed...marathon runner. Of course we start talking about training and the first thing she says is, "So how hungry are you right now...?" OMG. I'm a freakin baby dinosaur. I've never had an appetite like the one I have now and it is killing me. I'm not someone who is used to being hungry all the time but recently I am starving and always a member of the clean plate club. BABY DINOSAUR...ahhhhh!

Great seats, Bruins win YAY :)

Flash forward to Sunday: Leg Hangover, baby dinosaur appetite to the extreme. It's best said with photos:


Yes, I just drop my sweatpants in the middle of our kitchen and shove my 110% with ice packs. I think my roomies have finally kinda gotten used to it...maybe. I also might have worn my calf sleeves under my skinny jeans to the Bruins game...don't worry, I took the ice out.



I got my ice, Tedy's Team long sleeve, dog armrest, big ole Jack 'n diet...might have also been getting a foot massage. Life is pretty good as a cripple :)

FUN last of the post: I'm doing the November Project Ninja Race tomorrow night (since I'm all into links this post why stop now) : NINJA RACE  "Start will be very stealth so please do not show up early and hang around like an idiot ninja. The good ninjas will form from thin air at 9:14PM ready to race."

Thank god I finally have another opportunity to use the sword that's on my desk in my cube.

I freakin love these guys.

Happy Tuesday!
-Bad leg hungover'd baby dinosaur triathlete

No comments:

Post a Comment