Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cat vs Tough Mudder, the prelude

If you want to know my initial feelings about the Tough Mudder I think they can be nicely described in two letters: F. U.

I have never done the Tough Mudder (I have done other obstacle course races) and honestly, I really don't have much desire to. However, when I heard there was a "Boston" one coming to town and my company was making a team, I decided to give it a try.

I will save all final judgement until after I actually do a race but as of right now I hate it.

First of all I always thought I was pretty decent at geography, but I never knew Gunstock Mountain in New Hampshire was considered Boston. My bad.

Besides that little two and a half hour drive time, NH tolls hiccup, I decided to try and find out more about this race and why people decide to race it. I thought the best place to learn about the race would be on its "About" section on their website.

Here is what I found:

It starts with:



Cool! Sounds good to me...

And then it just goes downhill...


Ummm.....see where I got the F U from?

Pretty damn hypocritical to talk about COST of a race when the Tough Mudder is no cheap race. $171.40 is the total I had to pay for this geographically deceitful race. That is more expensive than my Olympic Distance Triathlon last year and almost as expensive as a half Ironman. You leave marathons alone Tough Mudder!

And about my knees...excuse me, I didn't realize obstacle courses are good for your knees, I better not tape mine up then!

O and I don't need any "time" to train for a Tough Mudder? Then why do you have training plans on your site that each require workouts several times a week?

Don't you keep lying to me Tough Mudder!

Moving on...


WHAT IS YOUR F'N PROBLEM WITH RUNNING TOUGH MUDDER? Now you are picking on Triathlons? You leave Triathlons alone! I am more stressed about your stupid electrocution at the end of the race and hurting myself than I am about my Escape the Cape Triathlon next weekend. I bet just as many people take the Tough Mudder seriously (you know the kind of people that I'm talking about) as do Triathlons. I bet there are plenty of people who think Triathlons are not lame.

I like beer. I like to laugh. I like music. I guess got me there? But...Tough Mudder, you do realize these things also all exist at Marathons and Triathlons...right? You aren't the first race to offer beer. Some races even offer FREE UNLIMITED (until the kegs are kicked) beer to finishers. Wow those Triathlons race organizers, they sure do not know how to have a good time...



I don't have as many issues with this fact as I do the other ones. Camaraderie is absolutely NOT a Tough Mudder exclusive feeling though...

I guess I just don't understand why the Tough Mudder has to be such a hardo about other kinds of races? Did they fail at running marathons in their past? Did the Triathlon team nickname them fartlek? DO YOU JUST NEED A HUG AND WANT TO BE ACCEPTED TOUGH MUDDER?

But Cat, no one is making you do the Tough Mudder. You're right, I signed up for it all on my own (well I guess there was some co worker peer pressure). Like I stated above, I will wait until I actually COMPLETE the race before passing final judgement and I will admit if I was wrong and if my feelings towards the race have changed. I just wanted to do my pre-race due diligence and report my findings. I will say, I really hope I am all wrong about this race and end up enjoying it.

Basically, Tough Mudder, you sure know how to initially rub a badtriathlete the wrong way. Let's hope you are better in person than you are on paper.

However, I do think the Tough Mudder has good customer service. So at least they have that going for them, I guess?

All I'm saying is that, my body better be intact and my hair better not be permanently stand on its ends when I write my post-race entry....

When I'm stressed or having a bad day, I google pics Mini Australian Shepards. Best way to calm down after that rant...



 ALL BETTER! :)

-cat

1 comment: