Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Attitude re-adjustment still in progress but 2 years a triathlete!

O well hello there!

I know my last post was kind of a bummer. I can't say I feel 100% back to my usual self but I'm taking it day by day. I still haven't regained my faith and positive outlook on the general population but hopefully that will come in time. I had a pretty great and relaxing 4th and that was a major help.

In case you weren't following my NEW badtriathlete tweets (wait why aren't you?? https://twitter.com/Imbadtriathlete)

I'll provide some general fitness updates with badtriathlete flair and pictures :)

The weekend started off by battling the traffic down to Gillete to run the 10k that finishes on the 50 yard line of Gillete stadium. Holy hot/humid day! I was really trying to hit my 55min goal but goddddamn it was hot. I also had boloco on the drive down (oops!) so I had mega stomach pain the whole time. I did pretty well the first 5 miles but then bonked hard/felt like I was going to faint/got goose bumps and all my regular bad triathlete symptoms. Oops! It was nice having so many friends doing the race from my Reach the Beach Team, Zoom, Tedy's Team etc... and +1 (aka Chris) did his first official 10k! I think I was more proud of him than I cared about my time.

After the race we drove down to Hyannis. And yes, there was still traffic at 11pm :/ The Cape is so pretty and I didn't realize the house was pretty much on the Hyannis Half Marathon course that I ran in February!

I tried to be good about getting in training but it was so freakin hot! I tried going out for a run and sticking near the shore for the sea breeze but it wasn't too helpful. There was a girl running behind me and when I stopped to take a picture of the pretty view she passed me with something interesting in her hand:

 Running with a bottle of wine! Brillant! Why didn't I think of that?! Such a bad triathlete move!

Her next move confused me though:
Umm...? Chick that white wine belongs on the fridge if you are saving it for later!

I suffered through some more heat and finally it was time to go to the beach. We decided, despite the heat, to bike over to the prettier bigger beach on the other side of the bay. As we were biking home Chris gets into aero. TOOL! ;) Who gets into aero wearing a bathing suit after the beach? And then I suddenly felt empowered. I wanted to finally ride in aero too! So yes, the first time I fully rode in aero was when I was wearing my bikini top and jean shorts biking back from the beach like a tool. Can you think of a more badtriathlete first time for aero?

The rest of the trip was full of more Tour de France watching, Cape Cod beer drinking, beach attending and great hospitality by Chris' cousin. Here are some more pretty pics:

I didn't realize we were so close to the Kennedy Compound
Pic from my run

+1 refused to remove his sweater at the beach hehe
Right before the fireworks :)

After we got back to Brighton, we jumped on our bike trainers and biked while watching the Tour (stolen idea from Sherpa). What a great way to get some miles in! We did a brick run after and it felt like woof. All that humidity, makes me feel so nauseous when we run. O well.

I attended a nice butt kicking core fusion yoga class last night taught by a fellow Tedy's Teamer. I realized, yoga may just be what I need right now. This class was fast and intense but there is just something about only working with your own body that is very peaceful no matter what the speed. Lululemon is putting on these free classes on Tuesdays for the next couple of weeks and I'm going to try to attend. I'm hoping it will help with the mental re-adjustment I have been looking for.

With my second Olympic this coming Sunday I reluctantly headed out to Walden this morning. Chris' commitment to data is so intense that he spirited back out to his apartment at 4:30 this morning to grab his forgotten garmin before Greg came to pick us up. I've been trying to be better about data as well and I've been wearing my heart rate monitor every workout including this morning. I was so proud of myself for wearing after we finished the swim. I was then informed it does not work in the water so I basically wore it for nothing. Trying to make me feel better, I was informed I could see my heart rate before and after the swim though! Great.... haha At least I didn't wear it to see Coach tomorrow for our swim lesson and look like a dummy then!

The Timehop app also reminded me that today is a very important day: It's my two year anniversary of my first ever triathlon!!! My how the time has flown. It seems like just yesterday Curmudgeon was ripping the reflectors and kick stand off my mountain bike that I had lugged up to Black Fly Tri in NH. Talk about being nervous! I had no idea how two years later I would be about a month out from my first half Ironman and how much triathlons have changed my life :)

In the spirit of a picture filled post, here are some pics from start of my badtriathlete lifestyle!

So.Freakin.Nervous.
No really, I rode my mountain bike before I got my road bike to make sure I "liked" triathlons..hehe road/rode/rowed
Sprinting to down the finisher's chute!


My Mom and godmother drove up and surprised me! Aww my old car! Definitely did not finish #1... haha

There is your picture filled update, happy July :) I'm going to try and bring my mindset back to the girl in the picture above who was just so happy and amazed she finished her first triathlon. I never knew I could ever be capable of finishing such an event.

If you have time check out: My exciting Tedy's Team update!

But more on that to come later :)

Happy training everyone! Follow me on twitter for more up to the minute badtriathlete action :)
-cat

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're coming back around! It's not the same ride to Walden without happy Cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot! Loved seeing you this past weekend and looking forward to many more ridiculous runs together. Keep your head up, girl. You inspire so many with your positive attitude and love for anything active!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the lobsters dinner helped improve that mood :) Love your posts and congrats on 2 years!! It's been a fun journey to watch. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete