Sunday, March 4, 2018

Race recap-Hyannis? more like Low-annis :p

This is the email I sent to my coach about the Hyannis Half marathon this weekend-Enjoy!


When it rains, it pours (how cliche' 😝)
Anyways going into the weekend-
I'm not sure if you remember me saying last night that my legs just felt off, but eh they just do. I felt it in my shake out run and I definitely felt it today. I was also feeling that "shallow breathing" feeling, I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about. Basically I feel like I have to cough, but it won't help if I did cough. Anyways, I felt it yesterday and I felt it today, but I'm not sure how much that all affected anything, but felt it was worth noting. I told myself I thought I didn't feel 100% before Super Sunday 5miler and I crushed it so I tried not to think too much on it.
I probably could have gotten better sleep but it wasn't terrible. I felt pretty good in the morning. Ate a bagel with butter (peanut butter gives me stomach aches if I have it before I work out.) Drank water, tried to stretch it out and just get ready. I went on my warm up run and I realized pretty quickly there was nothing warm about this warm up -BAH DUM CHING! I ran back to the house with Chris and changed my socks and thought maybe putting sandwich bags on them would help. (I think it did? If you have any hot tips (HA more puns) on avoiding wet feet, please share!)
So race start was pretty uneventful. I probably should have started closer to the front because you know how packed it is. I just tried to keep it on pace the best I could. I would say the next couple of miles were pretty uneventful. I felt ok but my breathing was a little forced. However, I really try to channel that yoga breathing and focus on my breath and keeping it steady. It kind of worked, and the pace didn't feel too forced. I had a couple mantras I was trying to repeat to myself and Chris was out there cheering and cowbelling so I was trying to remember all of that.
I remember the second beach area "took my breathe away" last year so I tried so so hard to have a positive mind and I ran with my head down- A LOT! I would say where things started going bad was the hill going into what I think is Oysterville (stupid Oysterville.) I believe it was around 9ish. I basically just felt off. I felt that "bonking" feeling and tried to take in my nutrition and settle my mind. I thought if I walked a little I could get my mind back. I did an OK job trying to get back and just push through. I put on a great playlist and just tried to keep it together.
At this point my hands were pretty much frozen numb and at a couple points I felt like I was going to pass out. I honestly don't remember too much of the rest of the race. I think I let out some "AGHHHHs" of frustration somewhere in miles 11 and 12. I thought it would help maybe like how they say people who swear are less angry or something like that  😝
I just did what I could to finish. I felt bad and my face and hands were numb and I just sat as soon as I finished. Chris pulled me into the conference center and I just put my head on the table for awhile haha I kind of scared the lady next to me. AH well.
SO that's that. I was truly DONE feeling when I crossed the finish line. I really don't know what happened because I did think I was prepared and I do want to think I can push myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment